Hayden Colorado Logo


Below are the different utility service providers available to those who live in Hayden.


The Town of Hayden is dedicated to providing safe, quality water and sewer services to all residents and customers. The Water Department personnel are responsible for the operation of the treatment plant and distribution system in order to comply with all Federal Safe Drinking Water Standards, as well as State and EPA Regulations.

For all new builds, water and sewer tap fees must be paid prior to receiving a building permit. Once tap fees are paid, the owner of the lot/building site will be required to set up an account and pay for the water and sewer base fees each month.


All inspections, water turn on/off, and meter reads are to be scheduled on Wednesdays. For non-emergency water turn off there is a fee of $60.00

Important Information About Your Drinking Water –  3/10/2023

Failure to Test Backflow Prevention Devices and Assembly Testing Requirements


The Town of Hayden water system recently violated a drinking water requirement. Although this situation is not an emergency, as our customers, you have a right to know what happened, what you should do and what we have done correct this situation.


Click Here to Read Full Press Release. 


The bulk water loadout is operated by credit/debit cards and you pay as you dispense water, similar to fueling your vehicle at a gas station. The system is designed to be operated with the existing piping, so hose connections for customers will remain the same, the only change is how you pay.


The Water Division generates an annual Consumer Confidence Report.
2023 Water Quality Report


Waste Management

The Town of Hayden contracts with Waste Management for residential trash removal and household recycling. This contract is for the collection and disposal of refuse as well as the collection and recycling of recyclable materials within the Town, generated by and collected from all single family homes and single-family units within multi-residential complexes of five (5) units or less. Refuse and recycling containers may be placed by the curbside after 6:00 p.m. Monday and must be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. Tuesday and removed from the curbside within 24-hours following collection.

Residents and landlords can enroll for this service by contacting Town Hall, 970-276-3741 during normal business hours. Billing for the service is included with the Town’s monthly utility billing. Fees for these services are set by the Town, through negotiations with the selected service provider, and may change. If you have questions regarding your trash service, feel free to contact Town Hall at 970-276-3741

As of February 1, 2023 the rates are:
$34.91 per month, single-family
$23.45 per month, Qualified Senior Citizens/Disabled

Included in this service are:
  1. Refuse: Garbage, rubbish or any combination thereof. Collection of refuse shall be weekly on Tuesdays. It is the responsibility of residents to place their refuse at the curbside for collection. Containers provided by Contactor must be placed curbside prior to 7:00 a.m.
  2. Garbage: Refuse accumulations of animal, fruit or vegetable matter that attend the use and preparation of meat, fish, fowl or vegetables.
  3. Rubbish: All other refuse, crockery, trimmings from lawn, trees, gardens, rags, straw, sawdust, packing material, Styrofoam, shavings, ashes and similar materials.
  4. Recycling Materials: Aluminum cans, newspaper, magazines, glossy inserts and pamphlets, mail, uncoated printing, writing and office paper, uncoated paperboard and corrugated cardboard/containers, plastic bottles and containers, steel and tin cans, glass food and beverage containers – brown, clear, or green. All recycle items must be empty. Collection of recycling materials shall be on Tuesdays every other week.
  5. Containers: One (1) ninety-six (96) gallon roller cart provided by Contractor for Refuse and on (1) ninety-six gallon roller cart for Recyclables. Customer provided container(s) shall not not be serviced.
  6. Bundle: bulky items containing refuse only, not exceeding four (4) feet by four (4) feet by two (2) feet in its longest dimension, securely tied with cord or rope of sufficient strength to permit lifting and carrying of the full weight thereof without spillage or leakage and placed for collection immediately adjacent to a standard container. Branches and lawn trimmings shall be handled as bundles. Note: No limit shall be placed on the volume of refuse to be collected from any single­ family unit under this Contract, provided however; containers must comply with ninety-six (96) gallon roller cart shall be placed on the curb. Additional ninety-six gallon roller carts may be added at an additional cost.
  7. Plastic bags: Or other type bags that will not fall apart when wet and will support the weight of their contents.
  8. Ashes: Shall be allowed to cool and then placed in a disposable container, be it a plastic or paper bag or a cardboard box so as to control and prevent fire and polluted air when placed in the collection vehicle.
  9. Appliances and Large Household Items consisting of stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, washers, dryers, couches, mattresses, box springs, electronics (TV’s, computer monitors and CPU’s, laptops or tablets, DVD or VCR players, video display devices with a screen greater than four inches, radios or stereo equipment, printers or fax machines, video game consoles, and other electronic devices) shall not be considered normal household refuse. Separate arrangements may be made with Contractor for their removal. Such arrangements, and the associated fee for this service, shall not be considered part of the service provided by Waste Management for Town residents.
  10. Refuse shall be placed on the curb in accordance with schedules; every Tuesday for refuse and every other Tuesday for recycle.


If you find yourself having a difficult time paying your bill, please contact Town Hall to discuss your situation with us. Here is a list of agencies that are also available to provide assistance if you need help paying your utility bill.
Lift Up of Routt County or 970-870-8804

Routt County Human Services (LEAP) or 970-870-5533

Community Budget Center or 970-824-7898, Karen

Love Inc. or 970-826-4400


Other Utility Providers

Atmos Energy or 888-322-8667

Yampa Valley Electric or 970-879-1160