Colorado Crane Conservation Coalition Inc. is pleased to announce plans for the 7th annual Yampa Valley Crane Festival. The festival takes place August 30 – September 2, 2018 in Steamboat Springs and Hayden, Colorado and features over 50 exciting individual events. Most events are free and require no advanced registration. A few events with limited numbers require advance registration and a small fee.
Overall highlights of the festival include:
- Guided crane viewing in Steamboat and Hayden led by crane expert, Paul Tebbel
- Keynote speaker- Anne Lacy, Coordinator of Crane Research for the International Crane Foundation
- Featured speaker- Jennifer Ackerman, author of the NY Times best-selling book, “The Genius of Birds”
- Film- American debut of award-winning French documentary, “Free like a Crane” that follows the migration of Eurasian Cranes from Estonia to Ethiopia with stops along the way in Turkey and Israel
- Carpenter Ranch event- Picnic, talk by Birding editor Ted Floyd, and nature walk at The Nature Conservancy’s Carpenter Ranch in Hayden
- HawkQuest- Live raptor booth and presentation
- HawkQuest photo shoot- A 2-hour live bird photo shoot
- Crane-friendly ranch tour in Hayden
- Crane-inspired aerialist dancers
- Crane yoga workshop for all ages
- “Big Sit” and nature walk near an osprey nest at Yampa River Botanic Park
- Nature walk at the top of Thunderhead ski mountain with gondola ride
- Guided bird walks led by Birding Editor Ted Floyd and Joel Such
- Birding-by-pontoon-boat taking place at Steamboat Lake and led by naturalists
- Crane yard art display and silent auction featuring cranes decorated by local artists
- Crane/Wildlife walking tour- Walking tour in downtown Steamboat focusing on wildlife stories of historic Steamboat
- Children’s activities- Owl pellet workshops, crane coloring contest and more!
This year a special pre-festival family event will take place at Yampa Valley Brewing Company in Hayden. Join Colorado Crane Conservation Coalition (CCCC) and Yampa Valley Brewing Company (YVBC) on August 26 from 2 – 5 p.m. to celebrate the upcoming Yampa Valley Crane Festival and the “hatching” of YVBC’s “Sandhill Crane Red” ale in cans (previously only on tap)! Volunteers will be available to answer all crane and crane festival questions and to offer family fun activities such as crane face painting, crane cookie decorating, and a crane calling contest with prizes. A portion of all proceeds from the new beer can sales will go to benefit the cranes and the crane festival.
Full festival schedule and registration: www.coloradocranes.org. Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-276-1933